Sunday, September 30, 2012

"In the Spirit of Dave McKenna" is Now Available!

This recording has been a lifetime in coming, even if only planned for several months. Subconsciously, perhaps, the planning began soon after Dave McKenna passed away in 2008. His uniqueness was brought into stark relief (in my eyes) as tribute concerts served to drive home the fact that Dave playing is inimitable. Even pianists who do what he did don't even come close. What also was impressed on me is that, although I imitate no one, on an organic level, I (in my own may and on my own path) evolved to a similar playing style. Dave's name was the one I heard most often in commentary as an obvious influence on me (at a time when I wasn't even listening to his recordings. That came later). Dave McKenna, in an important way, is in a category with Fats Waller, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson and others who honed their unique contributions to a point of perfection. Imitators inevitably fall short. Though I am not an imitator, I fall short as well. Also, as I listen to the recording, post release, I'm struck by how much I am playing unlike Dave (I've actually wished, at times, that I had recorded some of the tracks with more of a mindset of imitation. Of course, I would have regretted it if I did). Hard to be objective inside your own head, though. Now that it has been released, the comments I am receiving suggest that I have, indeed, kept it between the foul poles. One thing that seems clear; this is my strongest, and perhaps most focused studio recording to date. It is, indeed, In the Spirit of Dave McKenna that I continue on in my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment